Most secure proxy servers use the Tunnel protocol.  What you need to
find out is what port they are using.  If the default setting in IE of
port 80 doesn't work, try port 8080.

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurent Daudelin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 7:51 AM
To: Mac Internet Explorer Talk
Subject: Re: Cannot access secured sites from behind firewall

on 10/9/01 7:11 PM, Jimmy Grewal at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[snip!]
> I understand your frustration.  For the time being, I would suggest
> manually entering the proxy settings into your Mac rather than using
> automatic configuration.  Most institutions do not change their proxy
> servers very often so doing it manually shouldn't cause you too many
> problems.  If/when Apple adds auto proxy configuration to the Mac OS,
IE
> will automatically support it.

Jimmy,

Thanks for replying! Gosh! I wasn't expecting anybody to reply anymore.
was starting to believe that I am the only one with that problem.

Obviously, I've tried setting the proxy configuration manually and that
works, but only for unsecure sites. From the Netscape automatic proxy
configuration file, it seems that the secure proxy is the same machine
than
the normal proxy server. Well, at least it's the same IP. The only thing
don't know is what is the secure protocol they're using. However, I've
tried
"Tunnel" and "SOCKS", the only 2 choices available in MacIE, and both
gave
errors. So, it's really like I'm SOL with my Mac here. Even IE for
Windows
5.5 has added this automatic proxy configuration, so it's really only IE
on
the Mac that is lacking... ::sigh!::

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Washington, DC, USA
bozotic /boh-zoh'tik/ or /boh-zo'tik/ adj.: [from the name of a TV clown
even more losing than Ronald McDonald] Resembling or having the quality
of a
bozo; that is, clownish, ludicrously wrong, unintentionally humorous.
Compare wonky, demented. Note that the noun `bozo' occurs in slang, but
the
mainstream adjectival form would be `bozo-like' or (in New England)
`bozoish'.

To unsubscribe send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To search the archives:
          <http://www.mail-archive.com/macie-talk%40lists.boingo.com/>