Okay, you guys at MS finally added incredible preferences in IE 5 for Mac OS
X: Interface Extras. Everyone I know immediately sets them to the opposite
of their default settings (we set them to: place the insertion point, open
new browser window, use the current default). Aside from the improved
rendering capabilities, it is for these preferences that I can't wait for IE
5.1 to come back to OS 9 (X is just not ready).

Now, there's one more feature I'd really love: the ability to suppress the
creation of a new window by JavaScript. This way, all of those annoying
popup windows (ads) can be avoided.

This feature is not trivial; I realize that. In general, if the popup window
is the direct result of a click, it needs to be allowed. This feature should
not suppress Command-clicking a link to open it in a new window. And, it
should not suppress popup windows from specific sites (that is, I should be
able to add domains and sites to a list to just allow normal functionality.

You can enhance this feature more by providing an OPTIONAL prompt to add a
particular site/domain to the list when it attempts to open a new window.

The content that would have appeared in the new window is simply ignored. I
think this is doable, and prevents one of the most invasive, intrusive
marketing techniques abused today, without preventing the legitimate use of
popup windows (login dialogs, help).