Revisiting this issue, the problem seems to be both intermittent, and very
'choosy'.

I have now had sites whereas I was able to drag media files to the desktop,
and some where I was not able to. In all cases, clicking and downloading the
same media to the desktop works just fine.

The weird thing is that this sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work,
even on the same sites - hence my assumption that this might have something
to do with the way Apple has permissions on X 10.1 not yet quite figured out
(and I'm being kind, here), and that this is less of an issue with IE.

Harry
--
Beauty, brains, availability, personality  - pick any two.