On Jul 27, 2010, at 11:54 AM, objectwerks inc wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Kevin Callahan wrote:
>

>> My nephew says his mac mini drive died and had to be replaced.
>> His "backup" to his media and apps is his iPod Touch ( apparently he hadn't
>> been backing up to an external drive via Time Machine ).
>>
>> Is there an app that can safely move his tunes, images and iPod Touch apps
>> to his computer?
>
> It is called iTunes.  I have done this with an iPhone and assume the iPod
> Touch would be the same.  Just plug the iPod Touch  into the machine and for
> tunes and movies and apps you can right click or control click on the iPod
> Touch in the left hand device column thing and tell it to backup or upload
> purchased items.

okay ...
I'll tell him that

he was saying his option was to sync and lose all data currently on the iPod
Touch

I did say there was an option to re-download all purchased items (an Apple rep
said he'd have to contact Apple first and set that up) -
but he's concerned about NON-Apple purchases - ie: all the tunes he's already
ripped from his CDs

>  I forget the actual verb it uses but it is something like that.  For images,
> just plug it in and let iPhoto import them as normal.  You can also get
> iTunes to become the new master for this iPod Touch by telling it to synch
> and telling it to then become the new master.  BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT UPLOAD
> THE PURCHASED MATERIAL AND DO A BACKUP MANUALLY (also a right click
> contextual menu option)

right ..
so it sounds like the real issue is getting his tunes that he ripped at one
time back to his computer -
or, he's going to have to rip everything again -
which is what I'll tell him he'll have to do

thanks Chad -