I am not at my MacBook at the moment, but isnt there an option in iTunes to
access the iPod as an external hard drive. My vague recollection is that it
is something like a checkbox for 'access as data device'?  Maybe he could
try that before syncing, open a Finder window and try to copy folders that
way. Though I am dubious about being able to access the music folders using
this method. Anyway, just a suggestion, so it might be another option to
explore.

--Mark