Thanks for the link. It states there that their cameras only work in UVC mode
not IIDC mode, which is probably why the other cameras I've tried give such
poor performance: being Windows cameras, they're likely working in UVC mode as
well.

But the website also states: "We also have a Mac optimized webcam that you
might want to check out – it’s the QuickCam Vision Pro webcam."

Digging deeper I've found the fine print: This camera has a native resolution
of 640 x 480 but is stretched to 1600 x 1200. The frame rate is 5 to 7.5 frames
per second on OSX, not 30 fps as on Windows, and switching apps causes the
video to go black requiring unplugging the usb cable and plugging it back in to
reset it.

Sigh.