On 16/03/2011, at 5:50 AM, Nathan Sims wrote:

> But the website also states: "We also have a Mac optimized webcam that you
> might want to check out – it’s the QuickCam Vision Pro webcam."

That's the one I've heard of (and good things about).

> Digging deeper I've found the fine print: This camera has a native resolution
> of 640 x 480 but is stretched to 1600 x 1200. The frame rate is 5 to 7.5
> frames per second on OSX, not 30 fps as on Windows, and switching apps causes
> the video to go black requiring unplugging the usb cable and plugging it back
> in to reset it.
>
> Sigh.

But that does sound rather poor (even pathetic) given everyone is going HD
these days.

Pity Apple expects us to update our laptops or buy an Apple external monitor
with camera to get the best video camera experience on Macs.

I think an iSight 2 would have been nice, even if it was USB.

Also anyone considering buying a second-hand iSight, be careful, some versions
of the Mac mini (last old form factor) didn't have enough power on FireWire to
run an iSight :-(

I'm not sure about recent models.

Cheers,
Ashley.