On Aug 3, 2011, at 10:24 AM, LuKreme wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2011, at 9:32, objectwerks inc <c...@objectwerks.com> wrote:
>
>> I stand by my statement that it would have been nice to offer a variant of
>> the mini with an optical disc device this time around.
>
> They did, actually.

No, they did not. It requires an optional separate USB optical drive.  My whole
point is that I believe that a variant offering (not the main optical disc-less
offering) with in-built optical drive in THIS generation of mini would have
been welcomed by the market.  I am not saying to ship all minis with the
in-built optical drive.  Just a variant.

There are major differences between something hung-off the USB port and an
in-built device.

And for someone like Apple that tries and makes the user experience supreme,
including where it comes to cables (think of all the Apple efforts to get rid
of excess cables), Apple is now forcing people to have an extra cable and a
more "fragile" set up.

> Baseline mini dropped $100 from last year. Optical drive is $80. Buy both and
> you get a much faster mini and $20 off.

And Apple could keep the extra $20!    win-win for all

--

I am not arguing that the change is taking place that makes the optical drive
less relevant today.  But it is not totally irrelevant and I would bet that