David Schwartz <da...@yesdavid.com> squawked out on Monday 12-Sep-2011@20:37:43

> On Sep 12, 2011, at 6:38 PM, LuKreme wrote:
>
>> You said this was a brand new Mac? Those have the recovery partition in
>> firmware
>
> No, not the entire Lion Recovery partition, just the bare minimum to contact
> Apple via TCP/IP. This gives Apple the ability to update the recovery system
> software if/when they want to.

Well, yes, ok.

> "Lion Internet Recovery presents a limited interface at first, with only the
> ability to select your preferred Wi-Fi network and, if needed, enter the WPA
> passphrase. Next, Lion Internet Recovery will download and start from a
> Recovery HD image. From there, you are offered all the same utilities and
> functions described above.”

So after a minute or 3, depending on WiFi bandwidth, you have a recovery
partition without accessing a hard drive at all.

> And it's only for _models_ of Macs introduced after Lion. At this point in
> time that means only Air and Mini.

Yes, that could have been clearer. The brand new AIR and mini can do this,
brand new (*anything else*) can’t do that until the next hardware refresh on
the specific model.

***

Really, it’s pretty darn nifty.

--
"I used to hate the sun, because it'd shone on everything I'd done. Made
me feel that all that I had done was overfill the ashtray of my life."