On Sep 12, 2011, at 5:11 PM, David Schwartz wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2011, at 3:00 PM, Michael Winter wrote:
>
>> We set it up so she can boot from the drive that has her Time Machine backup
>> on it.
>

> Why?
>
> Any Macintosh with Lion installed has a recovery partition as part of the
> disk formatting.

Because drives fail. A hardware failure can knock out all partitions.

A drive replacement, followed by booting from the external drive,
repartitioning/formatting, then restore gets you up and running (though I
hadn't thought about restoring the recovery partition).

Is there a better way? What's the best way to handle a drive replacement in a
situation like that (or even if you want a bigger drive)? I haven't checked
into the network booting, but I'm hesitant to rely on that.

-Mike