On Sep 12, 2011, at 12:07 PM, David Schwartz wrote:

> With File Vault 2 enabled, the General tab of the Security & Privacy
> preference pane's "Require password … after sleep or screen saver begins"
> cannot be turned off, with the only options being how long before the
> password kicks in. So user error is unlikely to allow an exploit should
> someone run off with it. Even the recovery partition can't be booted without
> the machine password.

Okay, one additional question about this...

I have a system where that has about 1GB of Time Machine backups on an external
drive. If I turn on File Vault, what does it do to the existing Time Machine
backups? Encrypt them also? Leave them in cleartext? Will the new Time Machine
backups be done encrypted?