On Apr 21, 2013, at 1:44 PM, steve harley <st...@paper-ape.com> wrote:

> on 2013-04-20 13:24 Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [V] wrote
>> The Mac Mini is always on, as is the Mac Pro.  With an Airport Express (AE),
>> I could connect the AE to the receiver in the living room.  Then I could
>> choose the multiple speaker option in iTunes (on the Mac Pro) and have audio
>> play directly from iTunes on the Mac Pro through the speakers in the living
>> room.  This should work, but it would require additional cables, and since
>> the Mac Mini is already connected to the sound system, I'd like to use that
>> if possible.
>
> since you have an "AV" sound system, i wonder if you've considered streaming
> video as well; an Apple TV is the answer for that; it works as an Airplay
> target from iOS & Mac, and can also access your audio and video libraries on
> any Macs (photo libraries too), and can handle various streaming services
> like Hulu and Netflix; assuming your AV receiver routes all signals, the
> cabling is dead simple: power to the ATV and HDMI from the ATV to the receiver

Hi Steve,

I thought about an Apple TV (for video and audio), or maybe just an Airport
Express (for audio), but I already have a Mac Mini connected to the AV
receiver, so I thought that if I could get that to work, then I wouldn't need
to buy an Apple TV or an Airport Express, not to mention the extra clutter of a
few more cables.

I downloaded AirServer and it seems to do what I want for music.  It appears to
have made my Mac Mini an Airplay target, so now I can choose the Mac Mini from
iTunes running on my Mac Pro, where my iTunes library is located.  I don't have
to mess with the Mac Mini to play music from iTunes on my Mac Pro through my AV
sound system (connected to my Mac Mini).

Apparently AirServer does video streaming as well, though I have not yet tried
that.

Gregg