We have a server Mac mini[1] running OS X 10.6.8 Server as our office mail
server, and I need to replace the old internal 1 TB HDD with a new 250GB SDD.
The internal HDD has two 500GB partitions, but only the 1st partition is used,
and only 70 GB at that.

Does this plan sound reasonable:

1. Place the SDD in an external drive enclosure and format it as Mac OS
Extended Journaled.
2. Make an image(?) copy of the HDD drive's 1st partition onto the SDD (how?)
3. Physically swap out the HDD with the SDD.
4. Boot up and run.

Any recommendations on how to accomplish step 2?
Thx

[1] Macmini4,1  2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo