You don’t want to work on a live copy. Just because CCC does it does
not mean that it is a good idea. There are lots of databases in different
spots, and the only way of making sure a database is quiescent is to turn it
off.

        If it was me, I would take the extra time of copying everything into a
.dmg so I had a backup copy of exactly where I made the transition.