Yes, Disk Utility's Restore does a fine job of copying volumes.  Copying from
the booted drive is never guaranteed.  It usually works, but not always.  If
you must do that, start in Safe Mode and login in Safe Mode to eliminate as
much background activity as you can, and do nothing else on the machine while
the drive is copying.  Safer is to use transfer mode and a second external
machine.