On Dec 1, 2013, at 2:50 PM, Lawrence Sica <lom...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu>
> wrote:

>>> But it was all text and some images. No video. No dynamic content. No JSON.
>>
>> Come to think of it, I've never noticed any bloat from IE on Windows. Do
>> they manage memory differently?
>
> Really?  What version of IE?  I’ve seen it eat lots of memory.  Really all
> browsers tend to do so I think.

I don't know about memory, but I recently learned that IE has been using a
separate process per tab (as Chrome does) since IE8, years before Apple added
it in Safari 7.  Been meaning to post this link:

<http://www.hanselman.com/blog/MicrosoftIE8AndGoogleChromeProcessesAreTheNewThreads.aspx>

Back on the memory topic: if web sites are going to routinely leak massive
amounts of memory, regardless of who's to blame, I'd like browsers to let me
put a cap on how much memory each tab uses.  Kind of like the old days of
Classic Mac OS, when we could limit the amount of memory each application could
use.

--Andy