On Nov 28, 2013, at 1:37 PM, LuKreme <krem...@kreme.com> wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2013, at 11:17 , list boy <i.am.list....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yep, double checked. Today's swap used is 39.12 GB, after 5 hours of uptime.
>>
>> (I should have mentioned initially that my physical memory =  4 GB RAM)
>
> Wow. I can't even imagine that large a swap. My laptop doesn't have that much
> free space, even.

Once a browser has a page open with any kind of continually executing dynamic
content that has a memory leak, swap space will keep growing ad infinitum.  I
have found the problem correlates more with certain web sites than with
particular browsers or plug-ins.  To me that indicates sloppy, even
irresponsible coding on the part of either the web site developers or their
advertisers.  Two culprits: I avoid leaving YouTube windows open, and I don't
go to Huffington Post at all.  I once opened the JavaScript console and watched
it scroll and scroll and scroll as a HuffPo page generated an endless stream of
error messages.

When my computer starts bogging down I run this command:

ls -lh /var/vm

On my primary machine, an MBP running Mavericks with 8 GB RAM, I got this just
now:

total 6422528
-rw------T  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 15:46 sleepimage
-rw-------  1 root  wheel    64M Nov 28 15:46 swapfile0
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 16:30 swapfile1
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 16:15 swapfile2

In the past I wouldn't have been surprised to see this list get up to
swapfile8, regardless of which browser I used.  (By the way, I'm one of those
people with dozens of open browser tabs; I do feel it is a disease of some
sort.)  But Safari 7 is clearly doing something more efficient with memory --
something Firefox doesn't do, because I switched to it for a while and saw the
swap space go up just like it did pre-Mavericks.

A little while ago I went to do something on my other machine, an iMac running
Mountain Lion with 16 GB RAM.  That machine is usually very snappy, but it was
being strangely sluggish, so I listed the swapfiles and here's what I got:

total 52428800
-rw-------  1 root  wheel    64M Nov 28 14:26 swapfile0
-rw-------  1 root  wheel    64M Nov 28 14:26 swapfile1
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile10
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile11
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile12
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile13
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile14
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile15
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile16
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile17
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile18
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile19
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   128M Nov 28 14:26 swapfile2
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile20
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile21
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile22
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile23
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile24
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile25
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile26
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile27
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile28
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   256M Nov 28 14:26 swapfile3
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   512M Nov 28 14:26 swapfile4
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile5
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile6
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile7
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile8
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   1.0G Nov 28 14:26 swapfile9

This machine often has only a couple of swapfiles at most, because of its
greater amount of RAM and because I don't use it as heavily as my MBP.  I only
had about a dozen tabs open in Safari, but one or more of them, I haven't
figured out which, had been doing something leaky over the past day or days.  I
quit Safari and the number soon shrank back down to swapfile8.

It pisses me off when I see these swapfile explosions.  Fifteen years ago if
you'd given me the specs of Apple's puniest 2013 computer, and told me a
browser couldn't trivially have 200 web pages open at once, and that it would
matter if I left the browser running for a day, I would have thought you were
nuts.

--Andy