> It pisses me off when I see these swapfile explosions.  Fifteen years ago if
> you'd given me the specs of Apple's puniest 2013 computer, and told me a
> browser couldn't trivially have 200 web pages open at once, and that it would
> matter if I left the browser running for a day, I would have thought you were
> nuts.
>
> --Andy

Agreed. I think that web browser designers have gotten sloppy and "we have all
the resources in the world" mentality. I think that whoever design the current
HTML standards should have to try to implement a reference implementation that
does 100% perfect, in a 32 MB machine.

Yes, I said MB. 32 MB is a huge amount of space for programs and data. There is
no reason, at all, that I should need 400 MB just to start up a browser. On a 1
GB PPC machine, I could easily browse the web with room left over. Heck, back
on a 32 MB 68040 machine, web browsing was relatively simple and easy.

There's no reason for browsers to be gigantic sloths.
There's no reason for a standard that says "Remote execution of arbitrary code
cannot be prevented by the end user without addons to modify the browser".

And there's no reason for a web browser not to run that remote untrusted code
in a sandbox that can be dumped if it's a memory leak, or at least identifiable
as to which sandbox is the leak.

Fifteen years ago, 1999, ... was that when FF 3 was new? ... It was after the
end of the pizza box, I think it was post tables, before the whole "div and CSS
layers and the web page is now a layout language" thing too over.