On 25 Mar 2014, at 08:02 , Jean-Christophe Helary
<jean.christophe.hel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just bought a number of 1333mhz 8gb

There’s your problem right there. IIRC the 27” late 2009 iMac had four DIMM
slots, each of which was officially rated at taking 4 GB sticks. Unofficially
_most_ 8 GB sticks would work, but some won’t.

> memory chips that I intended to use on my late 2009 27" iMac and my early
> 2011 MBP.
>
> My understanding (which seems to have been mistaken) is that 1333mhz chips
> would work nicely even when 1066mhz chips were expected, but they would only
> run at 1066mhz...
>
> That does not seem to be the case. I got awful beeps when I tried to reboot
> and whatever configuration I tried I could not get to have the chips
> recognized.

It should  be that the sticks would work, but there’s more than just the speed.
What latency are they, and what voltage?