FWIW I *finally* got around to figuring out what what going wrong with this.

Every time I added a .mp3 file to the flash drive a hidden 4K resource fork
file was also created. So if the track was named "03 Alive.mp3" the fork file
would be named "._03 Alive.mp3" etc. The mere presence of the resource fork
files confused the car player so much that it was unusable and would jump all
over the place trying to navigate the drive. Removing those files made all the
difference. Odd that a new model Sony player would have issues with resource
forks on a FAT32-formatted device, but, yeah.

The odd thing with respect to iTunes is that if you have it "Create MP3
Version" of a 1411 kbps track, the highest it will create for you is 192 kbps
(the setting is conveniently hidden in the "Import Settings" tab of
Preferences). Some of the tracks have a slight "metallic" whine or ring to them
so I was hoping to export with at least 256 kbps, but no dice.

All in all its a tedious process but I really don't want to leave my iPod in
the car (I've already lost one that way, fried). The end result with the flash
drive is usable but not so user-friendly since you don't get any options of
finding what you want to listen to (by artist/track/album/playlist etc) except
by the fixed way you've ordered them on the flash drive.

-Carl