Please don't focus on the brew issue, since that's really ancillary to the problem I'm seeing. Also, FYI, brew specifically does not use sudo, it's part of the design, and the reason why it uses the admin group permissions.

The issue I need help with is the fact that I cannot write to a directory that is writable by the admin group, even though I'm a member of the admin group. Or more generally, I cannot write to any directory owned by a user that isn't me, with group write permissions OTHER than my personal group, which is listed first in the output of both 'id' and 'groups'.

Thanks,

Doug