On 12 Sep 2014, at 15:29 , Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.email> wrote:
> On 9/12/14 12:20 PM, Carl Hoefs wrote:
>
>> So, if you’re comfortable setting /usr and /usr/local to 775 mode, you can
>> do what you’re trying to do. You could also accomplish this with ACLs.
>
> That's just the problem ... even with the perms at 775, I can't write to the
> directory (not owned by me) unless the group is my personal one. If the group
> is other than my personal one, I get 'Permission denied’

There are no ACLs on my system for /usr/ or /usr/local, but then again I don’t
run home-brew and it sure sounds like Homebrew mucked something up.

Try this

$ sudo ls -lsde@ /usr
$ sudo ls -lse@ /usr

Maybe HomeBrew added some ACL or something?

If you don’t see anything obvious, ask on the homebrew list

--
How do I set my laser printer to "STUN"?