On 06 Sep 2014, at 15:03 , Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.email> wrote:
> The issue I need help with is the fact that I cannot write to a directory
> that is writable by the admin group, even though I'm a member of the admin
> group. Or more generally, I cannot write to any directory owned by a user
> that isn't me, with group write permissions OTHER than my personal group,
> which is listed first in the output of both 'id' and 'groups’.

Your permissions do not match the permissions I see on my Macs. The group OS X
uses for admin users is “wheel” not admin.

Something is different on your setup, and that difference is probably the
source of your problems.

It’s impossible to diagnose your problem remotely.

Create a new admin user in the GUI and see what happens there.

--
The way I see it, the longer I put it off, the better it'll end up
being. Heck, school doesn't start for another 43 minutes.