Number one, a bigger hub would probably be the cheapest and most efficient way
out of your problem.

Number two, I can't imagine there's anything magic about an Apple optical that
requires it to be directly connected, as long as you have a powered hub, which
you want to have anyway. Sure, possibly you won't be able to boot from it, but
who does that anymore?