> On Jul 20, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Michael <keybou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So one of my partitions filled up too soon :-). It's on a 4 TB drive, and I
> figured I'd shrink the time machine backup on the same disk to make more room.
>
> Except that I found that the partition layout put the time machine partition
> at the front of the drive, and the data partition at the end of the drive.
>
> So my first thought was to look at core storage and logical volumes. The
> thinking was to turn the existing data partition into a logical volume, and
> then add a second logical volume to it -- resizing the data without having to
> copy it.
>
> I can't find anything in diskutil's man page to describe how to add a new
> physical volume to a logical volume.
>
> A "workable" (but slow) solution is to just delete the TM (3 tb), put a copy
> of the data at the front of the drive, and make a new smaller TM at the end.
> That would work, but copying a full TB of data on the same spindle is slow.
> (Not a big deal, just an annoyance).
>
> My question is: What can be done with core storage? How can you add new
> physical volumes to existing partitions?
>
> Perhaps more usefully / generally: Lets say you had a large, 4 TB drive that
> you knew you were going to have different data stored on. You break it up
> into 8 1/2 TB partitions. You want to be able to expand two different logical
> volumes/partitions as needed, not knowing ahead of time which one would need
> how much of the space.
>
> How would something like this be done with core storage, or is this not what
> core storage is intended for?

Michael,

Never, never, ever, use Time Machine on a partitioned disk. It defeats the
whole purpose of having a backup. If Time Machine is backing up other items on
that same physical disk, your backup is basically worthless. If the disk dies,
you lose your original data and the backup.

Disks are cheap. You can get 4TB for around a hundred bucks. Get one dedicated
disk for Time Machine and for absolutely positively nothing else.

Then, go from there on the rest of your partitions.

-Andy