On 2017-07-20, at 1:22 PM, Macs R We <macs...@macsrwe.com> wrote:

> Number one, a bigger hub would probably be the cheapest and most efficient
> way out of your problem.
>
> Number two, I can't imagine there's anything magic about an Apple optical
> that requires it to be directly connected, as long as you have a powered hub,
> which you want to have anyway. Sure, possibly you won't be able to boot from
> it, but who does that anymore?

Actually, attempting to plug it into a hub does bring up a "This drive must be
directly connected to the computer" message. Apparently, the computer will
provide more power than a normal (even powered) hub will when a device asks in
an Apple manner.

And yes, a bigger hub is an answer. I did not know of bigger ones. I've only
ever seen 4-port USB hubs being sold, and thought that was some limit of the
protocol (figured a two-bit enumeration at some point in the connection
protocol.)

>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Never, never, ever, use Time Machine on a partitioned disk. It defeats the
>>> whole purpose of having a backup. If Time Machine is backing up other items
>>> on that same physical disk, your backup is basically worthless. If the disk
>>> dies, you lose your original data and the backup.
>>>
>>> Disks are cheap. You can get 4TB for around a hundred bucks. Get one
>>> dedicated disk for Time Machine and for absolutely positively nothing else.
>>>
>>> Then, go from there on the rest of your partitions.
>>
>> Ok, so I have a machine with two USB ports. One has a hub. One has my backup
>> drive. One has my DVD drive.
>>
>> So I'm already having to swap things around -- if I plug in the DVD drive
>> (Apple's official drive, won't work in a hub, has to be connected directly),
>> I have to move the external to the hub -- which means any terminal window on
>> there, or anything using stuff on there, gets clobbered.
>>
>> Another drive? How do I hook it up? I'm already filling the hub, and having
>> to plug/unplug things as I go.
>>
>> The primary purpose of the time machine drive is to hold a backup copy of
>> what's on the internal SSD inside the laptop. The secondary purpose is to
>> have space for additional stuff. The drive is pretty much only videos --
>> either older videos that I'm finished with, or low-priority footage that
>> I'll probably discard instead of using, or archival copies of stuff uploaded
>> to youtube; or videos to watch that I've downloaded off the internet.
>>
>> If my internal drive fails, I have a time machine.
>> If my external drive fails, it's painful, but I have an internet backup
>> (backblaze) that I can restore from, and nothing on that drive is time
>> critical.
>>
>> And yea, "Core" storage hasn't been used in a few decades, but this is ...
>> (dare I say it?) _AppleCore_ :-).
>>
>> (OK, if you don't know your minecraft mods, you won't know "Applecore" :-).
>>
>> ---
>> Entertaining minecraft videos
>> http://YouTube.com/keybounce

---