I can only speak from my small bit of experience, but we've had a cheap Canon
MG5400-series printer/scanner for maybe 4 years now, and still love it. It's a
four-cartridge system, and both documents and photos come out great. (When
printing photos, we use a good quality photo paper.) It gets medium to light
duty here at home, but it's never given us a problem. Of course the negative is
the cost of the ink, but for us the results and dependability are worth it. We
use the scanner on occasion too, and it does a good job. If we got a new one,
it would be as close to this model as possible, but with a duplex document
feeder. (Ours has duplex printing, but only a flatbed scanner.)

Hope this helps, and good luck!
-- Mark