High Sierra ran iPhoto; Catalina runs Photos. The two photo database formats
are totally incompatible, which is why it upgrades the database. And I know
that somewhere along the way (from HS to Catalina) it did a forced upgrade of
the mailboxes.

So my guess is that your undertaking would be an exercise in futility...

(And ditto your frustration with the iMac's gossamer-thin screen connection
wires: What were they thinking?)

-Carl