Wow, you're right. It's really hard for me to believe that by sheer
happenstance, I have never (except once) worked on an iMac model newer than
2012 (according to everymac.com). But I suppose it's not entirely improbable,
because it's the old ones that need the most help.  I don't recall optical
drives in most of the units I have worked on, but then again I had no reason to
pay any attention to them because they were never the issue.