On this subject only — Photos long predates High Sierra (2015, Yosemite). I run
HS on my main machine, I still run iPhotos despite at lest two OS upgrades, and
I continually attract rafts of * from peers about running obsolete software.

Initially, I declined to switch to Photos until it had at least the editing
capabilities that iPhotos had (the initial release was sorely lacking). It's
probably way better now, but I just haven't taken the time to switch, because
iPhotos continues to run excellently; the only diminution is that it lost the
ability to erase photos from my tethered iPhone as it used to be able to do,
and I now have to do that by hand.

And as for "totally incompatible" databases, way to the contrary — when you
first launch Photos, it creates a database that is actually a hard-linked file
structure into the existing iPhoto database, so that the photos "exist in two
places at once" without taking up double the storage, and the old one can be
deleted without losing anything. To my knowledge, that mechanism has never been
removed from Photos; if I launched it today for the first time, it would still
"adopt" my iPhotos database that way.