this doesnt answer your question, but I found 5.7.2 to be a breeze to
install. It was so easy I dont even remember what I did other than set
the prefix to my local directory tree.

i also had to stifle some warnings about some localization data not
being set, but other than that 5.7.2 has been chugging along from 10.0
to 10.1 just great.