Howard, please pardon the intrusion;

Conceptually speaking what steps I list below do work (I've used
them manually without issue.)  I want to get them to work
automatically - using Perl as much as possible.

Question:  Is this method usable to make a disaster recovery
image?  I hear reports of mis-matched aliases after a crash
recovery session using other methods, I would like to avoid
destroying the MacOS 9 forks, et al, during the backup/recovery
process.

Any thoughts would be appreciated  :)

TIA;
-Sx-

# I am on a G4 laptop, so make sure we have mounting points...
hdiutil eject disk1
hdiutil eject disk2

# Make a place to backup to...
hdiutil create -megabytes 100 backupImage.dmg
hdid -nomount backupImage.dmg
sudo newfs_hfs -v myBackupDir /dev/disk1
hdiutil eject disk1
hdid backupImage.dmg

# Original poster used - ditto -rsrcFork myFolder /Volumes/myFolderImage
# I will use hfspax -r -w -v -Y -Z home /backup  or some such ...

hfspax -r -w -v -Y -Z $HOME /Volumes/myBackupDir

# optionally I would like to backup to a firewire drive or other
mount point...