On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, John Siracusa wrote:

> If you use the OS X APIs for "lossless" file copy, you get it all.  Try
> copying a "Mac file" from an HFS/HFS+ volume to a UFS volume in the Finder.
> You'll see how it creates two files, "foo" and "._foo" on the destination
> drive.  "._foo" contains both the resource fork *and* all the associated
> metadata.  The Finder knows how to "reconstitute" the two files as well.
> either when copying back or when reading the file on the UFS volume.

I don't understand.  If you are backing up a directory, you will copy both
"foo" and "._foo".  Resource fork handled.  If you are backing up
incrementally, if the resource fork has been changed, it will get backed
up.  If it hasn't, it's already in the full (or previous) backup.  What's
the problem?

If you make a disk image, and restore it completely, how can aliases get
munged?  Everything is the same.  Are you arbitrarily changing the volume
name?

I agree every file copying command should include command line switches to
include the resource fork and any possible metadata in the copy (similar
to the way -p preserves some metadata in Unix).

None of this is Perl related, unless your copy scripts and restore scripts
are in Perl.  Maybe someone could post a set, just to redeem this thread?
:)  The command-line stuff could be moved to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
MattLangford