This looks useful

make a diskcopy!!!!

the dmg format is really useful

from the hdiutil man page

Image from folder:
            $ du -s myFolder   # du(1) seems to find resource forks, even
on HFS+
            1234
            $ hdiutil create -sectors 1334 folderImage      # add 100
sectors
            $ hdid -nomount folderImage.dmg
            /dev/disk1s2
            $ newfs_hfs -v myFolderImage /dev/rdisk1s2
            $ hdiutil eject disk1
            $ hdid folderImage.dmg
            /dev/disk1s2            Apple_HFS
/Volumes/myFolderImage
            $ ditto -rsrcFork myFolder /Volumes/myFolderImage

there is a bunch more you can even control the segment size.
assuming your firewire drive is big,  make a bunch of CD-ROM size
segments and burn them

you can even burn from this cl tool.

also good for converting dmg file like devtools to toast burnable image.

works on folders with companion program hdid as above or will copy an
entire device  (/dev/whatever)

see the manpages  this is a utility been hiding in OSX by apple.

On Tuesday, October 9, 2001, at 12:14  AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Elaine> Have you tried tar or stuffit for X?
>
> Unless tar's been modified, it won't know about resource forks, and
> it doesn't do incremental copies in any case.  From what I could
> gather over the weekend, the only command-line tool that knows about
> resource forks is "CpMac" in the /Development/Tools/ bin.
>
> stuffit also doesn't do incremental copies.
>
> --
> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
> 0095
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> training!

reply directly to: