This is more to the point and a little less slightly off topic.

pax is central to the pkg distribution format.

if you examine the contents, a pkg contains the pax.gz file and several
supporting scripts, plists, etc.
so you can do a bunch of things, and even more if you run the scripts as
admin.

I have unpacked many things manually into directories which I specified
and got the whole shebang, laid out in that directory.

additional scripts may then set or check permissions.
(and then combined with some scripts to find resource forks I guess and
hfspax???)
seems like a good set of perl scripts could walk a directory tree,
validate and catalog aliases, resources etc. and then recheck them on
install.

as for the pax format, it is a wrapper which supports a wide variety of
other formats and copy operations.

This is the benefit of having access to Unix commandline tools.

at the base of every GUI app is a suite of utilities which certainly had
their birth on the commandline.

whipping up a combination from the available tools makes what you want
to do very possible if you are willing to experiment with the switches
and parameters.

otherwise, we have to wait for Symantec or Dantz to finish synchronizing
the GUI to the functionality which already exists.
-----------------------------------
In the meantime, I found this  looks much easier.....
MacOS X: Backup and Restore Entire Volume
http://www.dan.co.jp/cases/macosx/backup-volume.html

maybe just the info you need.
the article also has a link to:
* MacOS X: /usr/bin/ditto and backup
http://www.dan.co.jp/cases/macosx/ditto.html

On Tuesday, October 9, 2001, at 02:11  AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I see -
>
>      The command:
>            pax -w -f /dev/rst0 .
>      copies the contents of the current directory to the device
> /dev/rst0.
>
>  Untested (yet.  Call me adventurous...)
> -Sx- :]

reply directly to: