sneex> Merlyn said: Aliases not matching?
sneex> Can I assume that the *root* user has been enabled in this crash
sneex> recovery situation?
sneex> When I am root I do not see this issue, for example:

sneex> [localhost:/] root# id
sneex> uid=0(root) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel), 1(daemon), 2(kmem), 3(sys),
sneex> 4(tty), 5(operator), 20(staff), 31(guest)
sneex> [localhost:/] root# pwd
sneex> /
sneex> [localhost:/] root# cd /private
sneex> [localhost:/private] root# pwd
sneex> /private
sneex> [localhost:/private] root# cd /etc
sneex> [localhost:/etc] root# pwd
sneex> /private/etc

sneex> However, I've found that right after a system recovery the root user
sneex> is NOT enabled nor available and must be manually set; so I am
sneex> wondering if this is a possible contributing factor?

No.  Try that like I said:

1. copy your entire partition to whatever backup you have
2. erase your partition
3. restore your partition from whatever backup you have
4. boot

You'll end up in single-user mode, unable to find anything in /etc
because the alias at /etc is no longer pointing at /private/etc and
life is bad.

"Apple Software Restore" is starting to look like it might be the
right solution, but I can't just drop an image on it as the instructions