On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, at 03:14 AM, Celeste Suliin Burris
wrote:

> I went to cpan.org intending to download and compile the latest
> stable.tar.gz to update to 5.8.0 on my Jaguar machine. Reading the
> documentation, it told me to download the binaries, not to compile it.
>
> As a Solaris SysAdmin, I've always compiled it. I compiled 5.6.1 on Mac
> OS X
> 10.1. I guess I'm set in my ways, but I like reasons, not just a "do
> it!"
>
> Does anyone know the why this advice exists?

More importantly _where_ does this advice exist?  Perhaps you went to
cpan.org/ports/index.html#macosx and saw the links and went to the
Server Logistics site and guessed that's what they were saying?

Anyway... since you're compile friendly _some_ on this list who have
dealt with this already might offer the advice that you NOT over write
your existing perl 5.6.0 as your OS needs it, possibly intact, and that
you install 5.8.0 somewhere else like /opt/ or /sw/ (via FINK).  Other
(like me) might suggest unless you need something very specific from
5.8.0 you just stick with what Apple gives you.

Again, not sure where you read that advice.

--
Lou Moran
http://ellem.dyn.dhs.org:5281/resume/lmoran2002.html