On Saturday, September 21, 2002, at 10:14 AM, Rich & Michaela wrote:

> At $129 for a dot release? Not a chance. Maybe to go to 10.5.
>
> ..Mac is even more of a disappointment. At the same time that Apple is
> pushing as hard as they ever have to get folks to switch, they are
> treating their loyal installed base like crap.

I think what you're seeing is a move away from Apple's apparent basic
philosophy of fundamentally they just sold computers, and the OS came
with the computer. In the old business model a major selling point was
that Macs last a long time - but indestructable computers mean fewer
customers so obselescence for Macs has traditionally been brought about
by changes in the OS between technological advances, and there lay the
flaw they continually subdivided their userbase. In return for brand
loyalty, they were expected to maintain machines which were
realistically well out of the technological window.

Now Apple appears to have had a close look at
the"we've-got-you-over-a-barrel-digital-fiefdom" style M$ business model
where yesterdays bugs become tomorrow's paid upgrades (Apple on Jaguar:
"provides significant enhancements to it's modern, Unix-based
foundation" - for "enhancements" read "bug fixes" culled from open
source development) and stuff like the paid advertising in the quicktime
viewer (Man I _bought_ the OS - why do I have to look at ads?), combined
with stepping up the process of obsolecence - since 10.0 paid upgrades
have appeared with an almost clockwork six monthly cycle, coupled with
the reduction of the period when new users can upgrade for free, in the
past this was for the life of an OS ie you buy a computer with OS7, you
get to update it for free until OS 8. But for me the total biscuit taker
is the <opinion pinchofsalt="1">ridiculous</opinion> packaging of OSX
server and OSX client (the difference AFAIK between the two are a
handfull of carbon apps), and no documentation for the server side of,
marketed as UNIX based, OSX, or rather I should say no documentation of
where Apple made changes from the BSD code, and where it didn't.

Inshort as an old mac hand, I like OSX but I think Apple is treating
people like idiots throwing them glitzy bait to get them running to
their software/hardware supplier to get the latest and greatest. Sure
there are changes under the hood, but I went through 10.0 (the most
advanced OS ever) which had no software or third party drivers, then
10.1 (now even more powerful) which though slow is stable but probably
should have been 10.0 in the first place, so at 10.2 (Wildly
Innovative), to be honest I've had enough carrot and sticking for a
while, and I also feel a hell of a lot less generous towards Apple (BTW
anyone know where those quicktime ads come from so I can block the DNS?).

Robin