warning: rant imminent.

DBD::Pg is a World of Pain on mac os x.  i thought i would have my
database-accessing cgi script written by now but as usual i've ended up
burning my morning fighting with yet another CPAN module on mac os x.
apache/mod_cgi works fine on jaguar out of the box, and installing
postgresql from entropy.ch was easy, as was installing DBI.  but
DBD::Pg is refusing to work.  anyway, enough useless bitching...

% echo $POSTGRES_INCLUDE
/usr/local/pgsql/include
% echo $POSTGRES_LIB
/usr/local/pgsql/lib
% sudo ranlib /usr/local/pgsql/lib/pgsql.a
% perl Makefile.PL
[output omitted]
% make
[some compiler warnings]
% make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib
-I/System/Library/Perl/darwin -I/System/Library/Perl -e 'use
Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
t/00basic...........dyld: /usr/bin/perl Undefined symbols:
_ERR_get_error
_ERR_reason_error_string
_SSL_CTX_new
_SSL_connect
_SSL_free
_SSL_library_init
_SSL_load_error_strings
_SSL_new
_SSL_read
_SSL_set_fd
_SSL_write
_SSLv23_method
t/00basic...........dubious
         Test returned status 0 (wstat 5, 0x5)

i have omitted the remainder of the output, it just says that the other
tests are skipped.

i presume this those symbols are the names of C functions, and that
this a problem with XS code somewhere.  but why the hell would a DBD
driver be interested in SSL?

i am hoping somebody else has followed this road less travelled [0] [1]
with more success and can help me.

0. http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/index.html#03128
1. http://david.wheeler.net/osx.html

TIA,