On the one hand I didn't express myself very well, but for the other
hand I found other aspects of the problem.

Actual situation: I work with mac osx.2, vi editor, a pack of dos files
to work on.
When I open my files with vi I see some strings instead of stressed
letters and signs.
For instance:
carriage return = ^M
u grave = \xf9
e grave = \xe8
a grave = \xe0
o grave = \xf2
euro sign = \x80
i grave = \xec
BUT, if I write the same letters and signs on the editor, they appears
as:
carriage return =
a grave = \xc3\xa0
e grave = \xc3\xa8
e acute = \xc3\xa9
u grave = \xc3\xb9
i grave = \xc3\xac
o grave = \xc3\xb2
euro: \xe2\x82\xac

so, I don't know I can face the problem: to create an array of strings
to substitute is a non-sense, because of I haven't got two lists in
one-to-one correspondence... er, I suppose (I'm not sure).
What's yous opinion about?

adr

PS: I'm particulary grateful to Robin and Ken Williams!  : )