On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Adriano Allora wrote:

> Actual situation: I work with mac osx.2, vi editor, a pack of dos files
> to work on.

In particular, they seem to be in some kind of Windowsish character set
that doesn't seem to be translating cleanly to what Vi/$terminal/OSX wants
to be dealing with.

How are these Dos files getting onto your Mac in the first place? Email?
Ftp? CD-rom? You *might* be able to make problems go away by ftp'ing them
over in "ascii" mode, which should automagically switch things to the
local character set. Not sure if that'll help with all the odd characters
you're talking about though.

Alternatively, if you can't find a good clean way to translate documents
from one character set to another, you'll have to hand roll one. Surely
there has to be tools for this but off the top of my head I can't think of
any...

--
Chris Devers    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Q: What do you call a half-dozen Indians with Asian flu?
A: Six sick Sikhs (sic). *rimshot*