On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 12:49  PM, Peter N Lewis wrote:

At 13:51 +0000 25/11/02, Nicholas Clark wrote:
On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 02:33:45PM +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
Chris Nandor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That shouldn't work. By the time you get to it in the script, if you have a
> #! line, then the entire script is one long comment, and the use() line
> won't ever be executed.

That would be an argument for allowing -M/-m on the #! line.
Er, except that the #! line would all have been read by then, and treated
as a comment. Or have I got things confused?
But is there any reason the # comments are not terminated by the first occurrence of *either* \012 or \015?
There's nothing perl can do about this - the OS (in fact, the kernel, I think) reads that shebang line in order to know it should call perl. By the time perl gets to look at it, it's too late.

-Ken