On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 11:20  PM, Ken Williams wrote:
On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 03:38  PM, Chris wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 10:09  PM, Ken Williams wrote:
There's nothing perl can do about this - the OS (in fact, the kernel, I think) reads that shebang line in order to know it should call perl. By the time perl gets to look at it, it's too late.
Kernel not involved. Shell looks to determine with which application to launch executable.
The following source says otherwise, as do some knowledgeable unix geeks I've asked ...
I appear to have grossly misunderstood discussion on a different list regarding what the kernel did vs what the shell did. I apologize for worsening the S/N ratio here.

Mea cupla!

--Chris