On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 02:58 PM, Jerry LeVan wrote:

This morning when I tried to send some mail I was kept getting failure
messages.

Reading mail was OK.

Mail log asserted localhost had refused connection. After some putzing
around I noticed that "/" was owned by me and had all permissions turned on!

System and System/Library seem to have suffered a similar fate. I started
getting mail failures at about the same time I installed the"eUSBSmartmedia"
upgrade package.

I changed the owner/permissions of "/" to
drwxr-xr-x 51 root admin 1734 Dec 3 13:56 /

That seemed to get mail going again, ( I set Don't Blame Sendmail )

Could someone :) email a copy of a long directory listing of "/" and also
include the owner/permissions for the /System/Library directory?
Jerry,

Run the Repair Privileges tool in Disk Utility instead. It's under the First Aid tab. You can copy the log out of the display window and save it in case you have some unique privs settings on your box.

Phil Burk
Systems Support Technician Wiley Publishing, Inc.
10475 Crosspoint Blvd Indianapolis, IN 46256
317.572.3049 phone 317.572.1049 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]