At 14:58 -0500 12/3/02, Jerry LeVan wrote:
This morning when I tried to send some mail I was kept getting failure
messages.

Reading mail was OK.

Mail log asserted localhost had refused connection. After some putzing
around I noticed that "/" was owned by me and had all permissions turned on!

System and System/Library seem to have suffered a similar fate. I started
getting mail failures at about the same time I installed the"eUSBSmartmedia"
upgrade package.

I changed the owner/permissions of "/" to
drwxr-xr-x  51 root  admin  1734 Dec  3 13:56 /

That seemed to get mail going again, ( I set Don't Blame Sendmail )

Could someone :) email a copy of a long directory listing of "/" and also
include the owner/permissions for the /System/Library directory?
If you're running 10.2, just use Disk Utility on your boot drive, click on the First Aid tab, and use the Repair Permissions facility. This was added because of various third-party installers and other programs that keep changing the permissions on / and other directories.

You can use the "Verify Permissions" button first to see everything it'll do.

adam