On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 06:19 PM, Lorin Rivers wrote:

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 05:11 PM, Ken Williams wrote:

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 11:10 AM, Lorin Rivers wrote:
When I run "r" in CPAN, it always reports old versions, even after I do "force install 'something'.

I'm using fink and perl5.8 on 10.2.4.

It's probably installing to a location that's not in @INC. Compare the place it tells you it's installing things to what you see when you do a 'perl -V' in the shell.

-Ken

How do I find out where CPAN is installing things?

You watch the screen when it installs a module, and look at what path it says it's installing it to.

There are other ways to try to figure it out, involving poking around in config files and so on, but under certain conditions those config file entries are ignored (a problem I recently uncovered in ExtUtils::Install and MakeMaker), so it's best in this case to just look at where it actually installed to.

-Ken