On 3/11/04 11:22 PM, Charlie Garrison wrote:
> On 11/3/04 at 2:54 PM -0500, John Siracusa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 3/11/04 2:39 PM, Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj wrote:
>>> Let's discuss Perl IDE's on the Mac!
>>
>> I thought the app looked neat and wouldn't have heard of it otherwise.  Too
>> bad, like most GUI Perl debuggers, it doesn't seem to support mod_perl
>> debugging...
>
> I have had a look at the internal script that Affrus uses to talk to the Perl
> debugger, and I believe mod_perl support should be possible with a bit of
> effort on Mark's part.

If they add really good mod_perl support, they'll have my money (he says
without knowing what the price is, heh :)

> I have mentioned it to him and hopefully a future version will support
> mod_perl. But even without direct mod_perl support, I still find Affrus to be
> an excellent program. If I have a particular problem that I can reproduce in a
> simple script, debugging it in Affrus is *so* much faster than any other
> method I have found. It has already saved me many hours.

I was going to make the "lack of bugs in sub-10,000-line programs" joke, but
Pudge beat me to it ;)  Anyway, debugging a simple script isn't so bad in
the standard perl debugger, but debugging a full-blown web application made
up of (literally) hundreds of perl modules...then good ol' perl -d is a wee
bit clunky.

> PS. I was very happy to see Mark's post on this list. I wasn't aware that Mark
> was not part of this small community, but he has certainly been a part of the
> larger Mac programming community for a long time. And there are many of us who
> have been very grateful for the (yes, commercial) tools he has been offering
> for many years.

It's a love-fest!  Free copies of Affrus  for the whole list! :)

-John