On Mar 20, 2004, at 20:33, Chris Devers wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj wrote:

Is there such an animal?
And is it GNU-ed?

Aside from /usr/bin/perl (or C:\perl\perl.exe)?

There is (was? "is", I suppose...) that could produce Windows .exe files
out of win32 Perl scripts, but it doesn't have a very good reputation as
far as I can tell.
<shudder>

For every other platform Perl runs on (everything?), /usr/bin/perl is pretty standard, and you're generally better off just distributing programs that way than trying to compile them to some kind of binary.

Well, I want to distribute the programs to my clients - without source...
If they can modify it - there's a concern of security - and never mind
the ownership of code et cetera!
Also, compiled versions run way faster....
(Would love to develop Perl/TK in Aqua using a compiler and distributing!)

If you think about it, if you want binaries, you're going to have to recompile them for every platform you're interested in. The same ascii
Just a Mac! Of course, that's the platform.

Perl script will generally run without modification on OSX, Linux,
Solaris, Irix, AIX, HP/UX, BeOS, SCO, etc. A binary, on the other hand,
will have to be custom made for every one of those platforms, and often
you'll need different versions of your program for different versions of
the platform it is being ported to.
Just a Mac!
:-)

For some reason, the Java people seem to think this kind of thing is a big
deal, even though every *nix scripting language has been able to do this
more or less forever... :)
Chuckle!
Well, many people think they were ingenious with coming up with JVM, but
such young ones as I who started computing in the 1970's know that IBM first
had (and still does have) a nice operating system called VM -
it ran all their stuff - MVS, DOS/VSE, and VM on one mainframe... You could,
and still can, if you're feeling kinky, run VM (Virtual Machine) under VM, under
VM und so weiter et cetera ad nauseam amen! :-D
It emulates the entire 360/370/"Enterprise"/wazoooo architecture.
Way kewl - puts JVM et cetera et alii to shame!
We saw Apple do this amazingly well in the transition from Motorola's 680xx
series to the PowerPc......

Why do you want a compiler, out of curiosity? What are you trying to do?
Answered above.

If you want to write something to share with other OSX users, you should
NOPE! Security and commercial!

generally be able to just use a regular script -- the only real issue to
think about is being compatible with Perl 5.6 for pre-Panther users.
Thanks for your feedback - appreciate it!

BUT, I guess, there isn't any?

Cheers,

BPR

-- Chris Devers

Please take the time to preview my forthcoming book of essays!
http://www.ZeusonaCork.com
Join the blog too! Thank you!