On Apr 27, 2004, at 2:58 PM, Chris Devers wrote:

how many times does the wheel need to be re-invented, ya know? :-)

I've always thought that an odd expression.

The first wheels were simply logs placed under a sled; when the sled had passed over them they were picked up and carried around to the front. We then found that narrow round slices of these logs could be mounted on an axle and carried with the sled. And then we made them lighter by switching to spokes, and made them more durable by putting iron bands around the rims. And we added tires to soften the ride, and then switched to tubeless tires.

The wheel has been re-invented *many* times through history. ;-)

sherm--