(I just tried, for grins, under 10.2.8, su-ing to an admin user, then sudo-ing a sh to get a root shell without logging in as root, but open-ing "/Applications/AppleWorks 6" as the root user didn't seem to do anything other than opening the /Applications directory in a GUI window. open-ing "/Applications/TextEdit.app" as root runs TextEdit, but the process is owned by the user I'm logged in as. sudoing the open directly from the admin user yields complaints about not being able to map display interlocks or open default connections, etc. That's not Panther, of course.)

I couldn't sudo and open Silverkeeper.app either. Besides it is too resource intensive. I wouldn't mind something slower, but quieter in the background.

1. Can iSync be used for backups? I'm not sure if I have iSync unless it is standard in Panther.

Well, Apple's blurbs seemed to say such things, but I think, when I read the fine print, it was for backing up to your .mac account.

They have an app called Backup.app, but it insists on you having a .mac account and being online. I don't think it is worth paying a monthly fee for this.

Joe.